Wednesday, June 3, 2009

March 29, 2007





My airplane knitting


This is the cuff for the Old Shale Socks that Bobbi has been trying to get me to knit for almost 2 years! (Well, minus one pattern repeat) I finally had the inclination along with the time to concentrate, and it is turning out lovely - but looks too loose to me.

Here is a link to the pattern:

http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2004/12/old-shale-two-yarn-sock-pattern....

Those are my green plastic needles that are "security safe" and they are size 2. The pattern calls for 1's, but I use 2's a lot and find I like the fabric. Not sure about this time. (oh, and I added one 16 stitch repeat to the pattern for my 'more ample' legs).

Maybe I will continue on for awhile and see. It might look tighter when I get to the solid knitting. If not, I could switch to 1's then. DECISIONS. (big sigh) I just didn't want to take the chance of them confiscating my needles and my pony pearls were in another sock, all the rest of my 1's are metal. But, it was good practice if I do frog. I am quiet comfortable with the pattern row now.

I will add a pic of that other sock I finished though. DD is thrilled, and wants to wear the ONE sock around the house. That kid is great for the ego! Even though I feel the toe is too pointy - I kept decreasing every OTHER round for a lot longer than the usual 3-4 times Oops.

I should go work on DH's sweater and choose later.

1 comment:

  1. Joansie: I really like the sock. What yarn are you using?

    Thursday March 29, 2007 - 07:33pm


    Lizzie: Very pretty. Lots of purple and blue socks being knit lately all over the net! I keep trying lace patterns and keep becoming far too inimate with the frog....

    Friday March 30, 2007 - 08:45am


    Bobbi: :::: SOUNDS OF CLAPPING :::
    Yay!!! Tammy, that looks great. Now, YOU DO NOT WANT TO FROG. Repeat that after me.
    The reason why? Because I, with my extra stitches and extra rows, and having worked the green Opal socks in the 2 color old shale, ended up ripping out about 5 inches of my under ribbing and am now re-doing those thousands of stitches in 2 sizes larger needles. With the doubling of the cuff, it gets really tight. Colleen finished hers a year ago, they are gorgeous and she is going to rip hers out as they are like tourniquets. So, yes, you want that cuff looooooose. Trust us!!!

    Friday March 30, 2007 - 09:58am


    Dilys S: I agree with Bobbi. I've not made this exact pattern, but one similar. Did the whole sock using the number of stitches and size of needles I always use, then went to try it on.... ooops. The leg was WAAAAY too tight. Had to frog the whole works.

    The colours look amazing, by the way! Really pretty.

    Friday March 30, 2007 - 11:23am

    ReplyDelete