Friday, June 19, 2009


Woo-Hoo! My Pineapple is getting big!
It's about 6 inches now! I bought the plant in the back with fruit on it, but soon after I planted it (last year) one of our resident critters took a huge bite out of the fruit and left it. Don't think he liked it as much as he thought he would. We picked it up and planted it next to the original plant, and that its the one that is fruiting now. Hopefully they leave it alone this time, and I get to eat it! :) Keeping my fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I learned something new today. I always thought they grew up high in trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that is, I didn't know exactly what the plant looked like or how the pineapple grew on it, now I do :). They are very yummy, hope you get to enjoy it this time :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are real easy to grow actually! You cut the top off of a whole pineapple, about 2-3 inches down. Plant it in a pot (or in the ground in warmer climates), water regularly, and in 1-2 years it will fruit.

    That plant with the fruit is the top to the old pineapple we burried after the critter chewed on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great to grow your own? I have several plants this year but I always forget to fertilize them, some are around 10 years old, all started as tops. I am glad you will get to harvest your own, when it is fully ripe, yumm.

    ReplyDelete